My answer – Like finding water in the desert.
But the more I thought about it, the more apt the analogy became. You see there is water in the desert, it’s just hidden under the sand. That’s how oases are formed in nature. The winds of change shift the sands until the water table is closer to the surface. Then, even in a desert, things begin to grow.
Lately for some, it may feel as if the winds of change are blowing sand right in your face. The trick is to look for the opportunities that may be lying underneath the surface as you see the sands shifting.
There are oases out there. Here are some examples:
- A friend of mine sent me an email tonight. She owns a great and growing company. She asked for a favor…can you help me find a key employee for my company. I called a few friends who might be a fit.
- Another friend in La Quinta, CA has a new book out and started a radio show to help people look at their careers.Career Secret Sauce and the Career Mechanic.
- Over coffee, I got to meet with the guys who run AZ Weekly. They have a great concept and are growing circulation like crazy. We brainstormed how they could grow more AND save money. Hopefully it helped.
- My social media expert friend, Steven Groves ,is coaching me on how to navigate the social media desert and use it to build a brand. If he can teach me – he can teach anyone! If you need help, ask Steve!
- I found a really cool deal, but I need to access capital to make it work. Friends from across the valley have offered to help me. We just might make it too.
- And as I talk to others about my really cool deal, I get to learn about their opportunities…and help them connect to others who can help them.
- And so it continues…
“Opportunities out there, just below the surface…like finding water in the desert.”
– Joan Koerber-Walker