The year 2009 will be a year to remember- fondly by some and less by others. But however you feel about this year soon past – 2010 is just around the corner. (Or as my Aussie friends remind me – It’s already here!)
As the clock strikes Twelve – New Years tradition is to gather with friends and family to wish them well – sing a song and exchange an embrace. We’ve all heard the song and probably sung it – most of us badly – at least I have.
It is believed Robert Burns wrote the lyrics to Auld Lang Syne in the 1700’s. (Most say in 1788.) The 1700’s were challenging years for the Scots – and in January of 1788 – it was the passing of an era with the death at 68 of the long exiled Bonnie Prince Charlie.
This video has Auld Lang Syne as sung by Dougie MacLean on his album Tribute.
As we sing Auld Lang Syne to this challenging decade of zero years, let’s take a page from from the song and put it behind us with fond memories of what was good and focus in on where and why we might raise our ‘cup of kindness’ to the decade to come.
Looking Back on the Big Zero
The decade of the Big Zero was not all bad – it had it’s highs and it’s lows. But the highs for me included starting my own company (CorePurpose turns 8 in July), publishing my first book, leading an inspiring team at ASBA for two years, working with the team at Parenting Arizona and OTEF to make a lasting difference in our community, helping RiboMed move forward in it’s quest for new methods of early cancer detection so we can catch it early and stop the spread before it harms the ones we love, and watching my sons grow from boys into men that their Dad and I can be very proud if. All in all, not a bad list.
Looking forward to the Big One
As I look towards 2010 and beyond – let’s call it the Decade of the BIG ONE – I’m starting a To Do List – not resolutions to break – just actions to take.
- Help someone find a job they love.
- Have lunch with a friend to share ideas on a regular basis
- Pick an OLD Problem and Solve at it in a NEW way at least every other day.
- Recognize someone’s leadership potential and commit to be their mentor
- Accomplish ‘Small Things” as suggested by Rebel Brown in this post at Phoenix Rising.
- Dust off that Five Year Plan and Refine it for 2010 and beyond
- Identify What We Do Best – Focus our energies there and outsource the rest
- Zero in on finding my QUEST company and get it growing.
- Help my son Nick (he’s 18) write his business plan for HIS dream business so that when he writes his 2019 Look Back List he can say – “The Decade of the Big One was when I launched my business – and look what we have achieved.”
So, there you have it – my Look Back List and my To Do List going forward. Have you started yours?
Thanks for stopping – best wishes for a Safe and Happy New Years and a record breaking 2010 and beyond. Get ready – this decade will be the BIG ONE.