I try to get a blog post off every Wednesday, and today will be a busy one.
The day started early, reading up an what is happening in the world and the business arena in general. It used to be that I had a pile of newspapers to plow through. Today, tools like AllTop, Woodstock Wire, and RSS subscriptions to the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times, bring the information to my laptop. It’s a big time saver, but you still have to read the articles.
With a big day ahead of me, I check the fridge for some breakfast. Hmm. What to choose? There’s milk and cereal, or chocolate pudding. Let’s see. Both are about the same calories but chocolate pudding is a lot more fun. Guess that breakfast turned out to be?
Breakfast with the laptop by the pool and a quick check in on Facebook and Twitter to see what folks are thinking about and tweeting. Some good stuff from Twitter friends @Amilya, @CSmetro, @Hardaway, and @GuyKawasaki, gets tweeted out along with a few articles I found of interest from my morning reading on line. I use multiple Twitter profiles so that the right information goes out to the right friends and I don’t clog up everyone’s stream.
A comment on Facebook pops up in my Seesmic DeskTop telling me that my friend Gloria (@heartfeldt) thinks my breakfast choice was ‘sensible’. 🙂 A little validation never hurts.
Social Media is all well and good, but the most important part of it is what you do with the connections you make on it. Today, I have five items on the agenda, all that are connected though my social media or online networks.
- Lunch with a friend and possible future business partner I got to know through Linked In.
- Some work on the laptop – probably at Wildflower at 101 and Frank Lloyd Wright to put the finishing touches on a business plan for one of my dearest Twitter friends.
- Check in with RiboMed’s CEO on the latest developments with the companies we are talking to about international distribution. And yes, they found us online too.
- 4PM at Starbucks Keirland with Ron Bell – and yes – we confirmed the meeting yesterday via Twitter.
- 6PM dinner on the patio at Sol Y Sombra with Brian Callahan and a group of entrepreneurs and investors I have not seen in a while. Oh and how did I meet Brian – who lives in California? He found me on Linked In.
So for those of you who are wondering if Social Media is a game or just a major time-sink when it comes to business. Here’s your answer.
Whoops, got to run! Thanks for stopping by and please… Stay Tuned…
– Joan Koerber-Walker